Michael B. Howard, Esq.Attorney
Employment Law, Civil & Commercial Litigation & Family Law Attorney
Attorney Michael B. Howard, Esq. joined Scaringi Law in 2018. He brings over a decade of legal experience to our team.
Over the past ten years, Mr. Howard has litigated every type of employment law dispute in state and federal courts at both the trial and appellate court levels. He has also provided regular legal counsel and advice to management and human resource personnel regarding employment issues such as investigation of allegations of harassment or discrimination, wage and hour compliance and audits, “best practices” employment policies and handbooks, Family and Medical Leave Act compliance, employment and severance agreements, and executive fiduciary responsibilities. Mike has extensive experience advising and representing employers regarding state and federal employment statutes, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA), the Occupational Safety and Health Act, (OSHA), the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 (USERRA) and the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act of 1988 (WARN Act).
Before joining our firm, Mr. Howard worked for many years at a prestigious law firm located in Baltimore, MD. During his tenure at that firm, Mr. Howard was involved in obtaining many noted victories in court for clients, including but not limited to:
- Obtained summary judgment for retail pharmacy chain against potential nationwide class of pharmacists who claimed they were non-exempt under the FLSA in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland. Affirmed by Fourth Circuit.
- Obtained defense verdict at trial in defamation claim by current employee against national provider of dialysis services and two supervisors in the Pennsylvania Court of Common Pleas of Philadelphia County.
- Obtained summary judgment for national construction materials company against employee who claimed he was subjected to same-sex and race harassment and then terminated in retaliation for complaints of the same in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. Partially affirmed by Seventh Circuit followed by favorable settlement for client.
- Obtained summary judgment for construction company against employee claiming unpaid wages pursuant to the Davis-Bacon Act in the United States District Court for the District of Columbia. Affirmed by the District of Columbia Circuit.
- Obtained favorable settlement for nationally recognized medical school and hospital in breach of employment contract claim by surgery resident.
- Litigated wage and hour collective actions and numerous Title VII/ADA claims resulting in favorable settlements for client.
With his extensive management-side employment law experience, Mr. Howard is expanding Scaringi Law’s traditional employee-focused practice so that we are now able to provide top-notch and experienced legal representation to any employer in Pennsylvania or Maryland.
Mr. Howard also represents employees in every aspect of employment law and his extensive experience on the management side provides invaluable insight and expertise to his employee clients.
Civil & Commercial Litigation:
In addition to his extensive employment law practice, Mr. Howard also represents individuals and businesses in every type of civil or commercial ligation matter in state and federal courts – from intellectual property litigation concerning trademark and copyright infringement to every type of breach contract, failure to pay and collections cases, to business owner disputes of every kind. As a member of the Maryland as well as Pennsylvania bars, Mr. Howard represents clients involved in litigation in either Pennsylvania or Maryland and in cross-jurisdictional matters. The types of cross-jurisdictional cases that Mr. Howard is able to provide representation range from family law, including divorce, support, custody or adoption, to employment law to civil or commercial litigation or any other type of case. If the case does or may involve Maryland and Pennsylvania courts, Mr. Howard is well-positioned to provide high quality representation.
Mr. Howard’s family law practice includes every type of divorce, custody, support and adoption matter throughout Central Pennsylvania. His extensive litigation experience is of considerable value to those clients who have highly contested cases. Mr. Howard is adept in the courtroom and is known as a tough litigator. Yet, Mr. Howard has acquired great skill in negotiating favorable settlements for his clients. Although he is ready, willing and able to take on any family law case, Mr. Howard is particularly interested in more complex cases involving significant assets or issues that require high-level litigation or negotiation. If your divorce or support case involves more complex property or financial matters, you are well served by having Mr. Howard represent you. He is particularly qualified to represent clients in complex and hotly contested custody actions as well, including cases involving grandparents’ rights, relocation and interstate child custody matters. His dual law license in Pennsylvania and Maryland make him uniquely qualified to handle family law matters that have cross-jurisdictional issues. Mr. Howard has developed a reputation for being an aggressive advocate for his clients, yet one who also places great importance in discussing every detail of the case with the client and making sure the client is fully informed and fully involved in the case.
Year Joined Firm
- Employment law
- Civil Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- George Washington University School of Law – J.D., with honors (2008)
- University of Maryland – Ph.D. Molecular Microbiology (2004)
- Lebanon Valley College – B.S. Biochemistry, B.A. French (2000)
- District of Columbia (Inactive)
- United States District Court for the District of Maryland
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth, Seventh, and DC Circuits
- Marc A. Scaringi, Esq.
- Melanie Walz Scaringi, Esq.
- Frank C. Sluzis, Esq.
- Brian C. Caffrey, Esq.
- Keith E. Kendall, ESQ.
- Kelly M. Walsh, Esq.
- Karen L. DeMarco, Esq.
- Anthony E. Miley, Esq.
- F. Clay Merris, Esq.
- Drew F. Deyo, Esq.
- Judith Twigg Walz, Esq.
- Frank D. Mroczka, Esq.
- Anthony Knabb diDonato, ESQ.
- Robert M. Sakovich, Esq.