Enforcement of Orders Entered During Your Divorce

On behalf of Scaringi Law posted in Family Law on Thursday, November 24, 2016.

After weeks or months of negotiating a divorce settlement or battling it out in a Pennsylvania courtroom, you are more than likely relieved that the proceedings are over and are ready to begin your new life. Months could go by without incident, and then something goes wrong. Either you or your former spouse is not willing or not able to comply with an order of the court entered during the divorce.

The party who is not complying with the court order can be taken back to appear before the judge. If the court determines that its orders are not being followed, the offending party could be found in contempt. The consequences of being found in contempt could cause significant disruptions to your life or the life of your ex-spouse.

For example, non-payment of child support can result in up to six months in jail, wage garnishment and loss of driving privileges or a professional license. Failure to comply with a custody agreement could jeopardize your right to custody or visitation, depending on the situation. You could also be required to pay the attorney's fees of the other parent, along with fines.

No one can predict the future, and if your circumstances have changed since the divorce, it would be advisable to discuss the matter with an attorney before it reaches the point where you could be found in contempt or face other penalties from a Pennsylvania court. If you are not receiving spousal or child support, it would be a good idea to get the matter handled as soon as possible since your finances are suffering. The sooner that the matter is handled, the sooner everyone can get back to their lives.


    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This number is my:
    • Please make a selection.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side