Brian C. Caffrey, Esq.Senior Associate Attorney
Chair – Civil and Commercial Litigation Section
Attorney Brian C. Caffrey joined Scaringi Law in 2014 and has more than 30 years of legal experience. Attorney Caffrey is based in our Harrisburg office and focuses his practice on civil and commercial litigation, estate litigation, business litigation, employment law, mental health & firearms law, professional licensing, education and administrative law.
Attorney Caffrey is the Chair of Scaringi Law’s Civil and Commercial Litigation Section. He handles the firm’s most complex litigation cases and provides supervision and guidance to the Firm’s Associate Attorneys practicing within the litigation section. Attorney Caffrey represents individuals and businesses involved in civil and commercial disputes and litigation ranging from estate and fiduciary litigation, will contests, to guardianships, to all forms of partner, member and shareholder disputes in for-profit and non-profit associations, to business-to-business disputes, to Dram Shop actions, to copyright and trademark infringement disputes, to defamation, negligence, intentional tort and bad faith insurance denial claims, to obtaining and executing upon domestic and foreign judgements, to consumer cases, to election law among many other types of disputes.
Attorney Caffrey also maintains an active employment law litigation practice in which he represents both employers and employees in all aspects of federal and state employment law, including cases involving wrongful termination, hostile workplace, sexual harassment and retaliation claims, violations of state and federal anti-discrimination laws, including race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, whistleblower claims, wage, hour and overtime violations, misclassification of employment status cases (self-employed/Independent Contractor or employee), Americans with Disabilities Act and Family and Medical Leave Act, among other claims. Because there are many state and federal employers and employees in the greater Harrisburg area, Attorney Caffrey has experience representing public sector employees in employment law cases. Attorney Caffrey also represents both employees and employers in the negotiation and enforcement of severance agreements and employment contracts including covenants not to compete, trade secrets and confidentiality clauses and other post-employment restrictive covenants. Attorney Caffrey has obtained successful outcomes for his clients in mediation, arbitration and in litigation in Pennsylvania federal trial and appellate courts.
Attorney Caffrey has developed a professional licensing practice. He’s well-versed in the laws and regulations applicable to licensed professionals, such as doctors, nurses, social workers, attorneys and dentists, which are enforced by the many licensing boards that are headquartered in Harrisburg, or, in the case of attorneys, by the Disciplinary Board of the Pa. Supreme Court. He’s negotiated settlements on behalf of licensed professionals with prosecuting attorneys from the Governor’s Office of General Counsel and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court’s Disciplinary Board. In addition to representing licensees, he’s also able to represent law enforcement officials before the Municipal Officer’s Education & Training Commission.
Attorney Caffrey also maintains an education law practice in which he represents students in disciplinary matters and in cases involving IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Education Act) and IEP’s (Individualized Education Program) and represents parents in Right-to-Know Law matters.
Attorney Caffrey had developed a significant practice in representing individuals subjected to an involuntary commitment under the Mental Health Procedures Act (MHPA) in seeking their freedom from commitment, appealing their commitment, or expunging their prior commitment. Attorney Caffrey represents individuals subjected to a prior commitment in restoring their firearms rights. And, Attorney Caffrey represents individuals who are prohibited from possessing firearms under federal law and wish to have their firearms rights restored using so-called “as applied” challenges to the Constitutionality of the Gun Control Act of 1968.
Prior to joining Scaringi Law, Mr. Caffrey cut his litigation teeth before the Common Pleas and magisterial courts of Lycoming and Chester counties as an assistant district attorney, trying 35 jury cases to juries and presenting many others to judges and magisterial district judges. During his prosecutorial career, Mr. Caffrey also served as a special deputy attorney general before a statewide investigating grand jury. The skills Mr. Caffrey developed during his years as a former prosecutor serve him well now as a civil litigator.
Also prior to joining Scaringi Law, Attorney Caffrey assisted some of the largest law firms in Pennsylvania in the discovery phases of pharmaceutical and patent litigation. There he conducted analyses of electronically stored information that served the defense team representing makers of medical devices and biomedical products. Also, as a member of smaller and mid-sized law firms, Attorney Caffrey developed a broad scope of construction litigation experience that included both plaintiff and defense work. He has represented homeowners, contractors, remodelers, developers, businesses and even a church in this area of civil litigation. He is adept at using arbitration and mediation as efficient, cost-effective means of resolving construction cases, but has plenty of courtroom experience should negotiations fail.
Mr. Caffrey is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and all other Pennsylvania state courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit. He has practiced before all of these courts, in addition to the Pennsylvania Superior Court and the Commonwealth Court.
He is a 1984 graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., where he earned dean’s list recognition in his senior year. He earned his bachelor’s degree in History in 1980 from Penn State University, graduating with high distinction. While at Penn State he was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
Mr. Caffrey was the founder and president of the nonprofit Baby Life Alliance and a member of the board of the former Birthright of Carlisle, Inc. He currently serves on the board of the Rotary Club of Colonial Park.
Joined the Firm
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Estate Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Contract Law
- Employment Law
- Professional Licensing
- Education Law
- Administrative Law
- Mental Health
- Firearms Restoration
- Pennsylvania, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1988
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- Founder and Presenter of legal education seminar program, Camp Hill, PA, 2009 - 2011
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1984
- Honors: Dean's List, 1983-84
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1980
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: History
- Legaspi & Caffrey, Harrisburg, PA, Partner, Handled civil litigation and administrative law cases, February 1, 2014 - May 1, 2014
- Contract attorney: Beacon Hill Staffing, assigned to Dechert, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, May 1, 2013 - December 1, 2013
- Contract attorney: Special Counsel, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, September 1, 2012 - May 1, 2013
- Contract attorney: Special Counsel, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, April 1, 2012 - May 1, 2012
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, November 1, 2011 - February 1, 2012
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Kessler, Topaz, Meltzer & Check, Radnor, PA, September 1, 2011 - October 1, 2011
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA - • Assisted in internal corporate and regulatory reviews for cases involving biomedical, pharmaceutical, commercial, technology and financial services companies., 2006 - 2009
- Manage Your Lawyer seminar program, Camp Hill, Pa., Founder and presenter of legal education seminar program, 2009 - 2011
- Saidis, Flower & Lindsay, Carlisle, Pa., Associate Attorney, Defended workers compensation claims, practiced civil litigation and employment law, Represented Cumberland County in workers compensation cases, Prepared agenda for monthly litigation meetings, 2004 - 2006
- Update, Inc., Philadelphia, Pa., Contract Attorney, Assigned to Eckert, Seamans, Cherin & Mellott, Harrisburg, Pa., Assisted in analyzing discovery information in international pharmaceutical litigation project, 2002 - 2004
- Peters & Wasliefski, Harrisburg, Pa., Associate attorney, Civil litigation and defense of workers’ compensation claims, 2000 - 2001
- Brian C. Caffrey, Attorney at Law, Williamsport, Pa. , Civil litigation, Business Law, Employment Law, Real Estate, Achieved jury verdict for manager denied pay and reimbursements, Achieved jury verdict for construction contractor sued by homeowners, Negotiated removal of partner from business partnership, 1996 - 2000
- Caffrey & Caffrey, Williamsport, pA, Partner, Civil litigation, Construction Law, Labor & Employment Law, Business Law, Real Estate, Litigated and negotiated settlement for broker against major investment firm, Achieved jury verdict for company to recover overpayments to employee, Achieved defense ruling for company on unfair labor practice charge, 1993 - 1996
- McNerney, Page, Vanderlin & Hall, Williamsport, Pa. , Associate Attorney and Partner, Litigation before state and federal courts, arbitration boards and government agencies, Construction Litigation, Day-to-day responsibility defending tire dealer against multinational company, 1987 - 1993
- Lycoming County District Attorney's Office, Williamsport, Pa. , Assistant District Attorney, Tried approximately 35 criminal cases to juries, Served as special attorney general before state investigating grand jury, 1985 - 1987
- Chester County District Attorney’s Office, West Chester, Pa. , Assistant District Attorney, • Presented cases on behalf of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania at preliminary hearings, 1985
- Birthright of Carlisle, Inc. , Member, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Baby Life Alliance, Founder and President, a non-profit pro-life organization, 2009 - 2011
Blog Entries by Brian C. Caffrey, Esq.
When Was Your 302 Mental Health Commitment?
Scaringi Law Election Law Announcement: Now is the Time for Candidate Petition Challenges!
Employment Problem? Take Steps to Help Your Cause
If You Want an Enforceable Contract, Put It In Writing!
Pa Democrats Introduce Gun Registration Bill
A Ray of Hope for Bullied School Children?
Candidates' Petition Deadline Nears
Amendments to Mental Health Act Take Effect In April 2019
Hold onto Your Gun Rights By Obeying The Law
Thinking of Giving a firearm this Christmas? Be careful.
Big Win for Gun Rights Restoration in Pennsylvania Court!
College Students Have the Right to Confront Their Accuser!
If It's Important, Put It In Writing
Have You Been Refused a Reasonable Accommodation under the ADA?
Pa Whistle Blowers Can Recover for Mental Anguish
Disabled Employees Are Entitled To Reasonable Accommodations
Florida Passes A Firearm Seizing Law
Can You Possess A Firearm In A School Zone?
Starting A Business? Protect Yourself, And Your Investment
Property Owners — Shovel Your Sidewalks
Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act Passes House
IEP - A Safeguard For Your Child's Education
Protect Yourself From Employment Discrimination
Protecting your professional license - and livelihood
How Parents Can Ensure Their Special Needs Child's Rights Are Protected
Scaringi Law“A very professional & Respectful Law Firm”Brian is an extremely knowledgeable professional . He returned all my phone calls in a timely manner and explained all my options in an easy to understand manner . I would consider this Gentleman at the top of his field. Thank you
- Professional & Civic Associations
- Community Involvement
- Case Results
- Blog Entries