Brian C. Caffrey, Esq.Senior Associate Attorney
Chair – Civil and Commercial Litigation Section
Having joined Scaringi Law in June 2014, Mr. Caffrey brings nearly 30 years of litigation experience to the firm. Over a wide-ranging legal career, he has handled a variety of cases in the areas of business and corporate law, real estate, construction, employment law, discrimination and appeals, and in the discovery portions of medical, financial services and pharmaceutical litigation.
Mr. Caffrey is well versed in the law applicable to licensed professionals, such a doctors, nurses and dentists, as it relates to dealings with Pennsylvania regulatory and/or licensing boards.
Most recently as a contract attorney in Philadelphia, Mr. Caffrey worked with some of the largest firms in the state in the discovery phases of pharmaceutical and patent litigation.
Mr. Caffrey has conducted analyses of electronically stored information that served the defense team representing makers of medical devices and biomedical products.
As an attorney representing a Pennsylvania school district in claims against the prime contractor in a multimillion building project, his team participated in mediation, in which they achieved a timely and cost-effective negotiated resolution.
The school case is but one example of Mr. Caffrey’s broad array of construction litigation experience that includes both plaintiff and defense work. He has represented homeowners, contractors, remodelers, developers, businesses and even a church in this area of civil litigation. He is adept at using arbitration and mediation as efficient, cost-effective means of resolving construction cases, but has plenty of courtroom experience should negotiations fail.
In the church case, he obtained a favorable arbitration award against the manager of a major construction project. Mr. Caffrey also successfully defended in court a home remodeler who was facing a claim for treble damages and attorney fees.
At several firms and in his own practice, Mr. Caffrey proved his abilities in the areas of employment law and discrimination law, representing workers as well as employers.
A skilled trial attorney, Mr. Caffrey’s victories include a verdict on behalf of a manufacturing company that inadvertently overpaid an employee, and a verdict for unpaid wages and attorney fees for a plant manager. He was also responsible for the day-to-day defense of a tire dealer in a federal lawsuit brought by an international manufacturer; and in prosecuting claims of a medical practice against a departing physician.
In the area of real estate, Mr. Caffrey has litigated a number of boundary and easement disputes before judges in courts in Central Pennsylvania. Mr. Caffrey has also litigated cases in which the specific performance of contracts for the sale of real estate was being sought.
Early in his career, Mr. Caffrey gained considerable criminal law courtroom experience as an assistant district attorney in Lycoming and Chester counties, trying 35 jury cases and presenting many others to judges and magisterial district judges. During his prosecutorial career, Mr. Caffrey also served as a special deputy attorney general before a statewide investigating grand jury.
Mr. Caffrey is admitted to practice before the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania and all other Pennsylvania state courts, as well as the United States District Court for the Middle District of Pennsylvania, the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit.
He is a 1984 graduate of Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, D.C., where he earned dean’s list recognition in his senior year. He earned his bachelor’s degree in History in 1980 from Penn State University, graduating with high distinction. While at Penn State he was inducted into the Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society.
Mr. Caffrey was the founder and president of the nonprofit Baby Life Alliance and a member of the board of the former Birthright of Carlisle, Inc.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Civil Litigation
- Construction Law
- Contract Law
- Business Law
- Employment Law
- Real Estate
- Professional Licensure
- Administrative Law
- Pennsylvania, 1984
- U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1992
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1988
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1990
- Founder and Presenter of legal education seminar program, Camp Hill, PA, 2009 - 2011
Georgetown University Law Center, Washington, District of Columbia
- Doctor of Jurisprudence - 1984
- Honors: Dean's List, 1983-84
Pennsylvania State University, University Park, Pennsylvania
- B.A. - 1980
- Honors: With High Distinction
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: History
- Legaspi & Caffrey, Harrisburg, PA, Partner, Handled civil litigation and administrative law cases, February 1, 2014 - May 1, 2014
- Contract attorney: Beacon Hill Staffing, assigned to Dechert, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, May 1, 2013 - December 1, 2013
- Contract attorney: Special Counsel, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, September 1, 2012 - May 1, 2013
- Contract attorney: Special Counsel, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, April 1, 2012 - May 1, 2012
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA, November 1, 2011 - February 1, 2012
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Kessler, Topaz, Meltzer & Check, Radnor, PA, September 1, 2011 - October 1, 2011
- Contract attorney: JuriStaff, Inc., assigned to Pepper Hamilton, LLP, Philadelphia, PA - • Assisted in internal corporate and regulatory reviews for cases involving biomedical, pharmaceutical, commercial, technology and financial services companies., 2006 - 2009
- Manage Your Lawyer seminar program, Camp Hill, Pa., Founder and presenter of legal education seminar program, 2009 - 2011
- Saidis, Flower & Lindsay, Carlisle, Pa., Associate Attorney, Defended workers compensation claims, practiced civil litigation and employment law, Represented Cumberland County in workers compensation cases, Prepared agenda for monthly litigation meetings, 2004 - 2006
- Update, Inc., Philadelphia, Pa., Contract Attorney, Assigned to Eckert, Seamans, Cherin & Mellott, Harrisburg, Pa., Assisted in analyzing discovery information in international pharmaceutical litigation project, 2002 - 2004
- Peters & Wasliefski, Harrisburg, Pa., Associate attorney, Civil litigation and defense of workers’ compensation claims, 2000 - 2001
- Brian C. Caffrey, Attorney at Law, Williamsport, Pa. , Civil litigation, Business Law, Employment Law, Real Estate, Achieved jury verdict for manager denied pay and reimbursements, Achieved jury verdict for construction contractor sued by homeowners, Negotiated removal of partner from business partnership, 1996 - 2000
- Caffrey & Caffrey, Williamsport, pA, Partner, Civil litigation, Construction Law, Labor & Employment Law, Business Law, Real Estate, Litigated and negotiated settlement for broker against major investment firm, Achieved jury verdict for company to recover overpayments to employee, Achieved defense ruling for company on unfair labor practice charge, 1993 - 1996
- McNerney, Page, Vanderlin & Hall, Williamsport, Pa. , Associate Attorney and Partner, Litigation before state and federal courts, arbitration boards and government agencies, Construction Litigation, Day-to-day responsibility defending tire dealer against multinational company, 1987 - 1993
- Lycoming County District Attorney's Office, Williamsport, Pa. , Assistant District Attorney, Tried approximately 35 criminal cases to juries, Served as special attorney general before state investigating grand jury, 1985 - 1987
- Chester County District Attorney’s Office, West Chester, Pa. , Assistant District Attorney, • Presented cases on behalf of Commonwealth of Pennsylvania at preliminary hearings, 1985
- Birthright of Carlisle, Inc. , Member, Board of Directors, 2005 - 2007
- Pennsylvania Bar Association, Member
- Dauphin County Bar Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Baby Life Alliance, Founder and President, a non-profit pro-life organization, 2009 - 2011
- Marc A. Scaringi, Esq.
- Melanie Walz Scaringi, Esq.
- Frank C. Sluzis, Esq.
- Keith E. Kendall, ESQ.
- Kelly M. Walsh, Esq.
- Karen L. DeMarco, Esq.
- Anthony E. Miley, Esq.
- F. Clay Merris, Esq.
- Drew F. Deyo, Esq.
- Judith Twigg Walz, Esq.
- Frank D. Mroczka, Esq.
- Anthony Knabb diDonato, ESQ.
- Michael B. Howard, Esq.
- Robert M. Sakovich, Esq.