Preparing for Divorce in Pennsylvania
Harrisburg Lawyers Who are Focused on Your Future
Advance planning can place you in a much stronger position going into a divorce. Before you take any action, you should obtain legal counsel.
At Scaringi Law, we help people prepare for the emotional, financial and physical disruption that comes with divorce. Our Harrisburg divorce attorneys can provide you with information and help you take the simple steps that can make the process easier and produce a better outcome.
To learn more about the divorce process and how we can help you, contact Scaringi Law, for a consultation.
Steps to Follow When Preparing for Divorce
Our firm has guided thousands of people through the divorce process. By taking proactive measures, we help protect our clients' rights and interests while easing the emotional and personal trauma that most people experience during the process.
If you are thinking about divorce, these are some of the simple steps you can take that will strengthen your position.
- If you anticipate having to move, arrange for accommodations with family or friends.
- If you fear for your safety or that of your family, we can help you develop an exit strategy and help you obtain a Protection From Abuse (PFA) order, if necessary.
- Make copies of joint financial accounts and statements.
- Get your tax returns from previous years. Make two copies of your federal and state joint tax returns for the past several years. If you filed separately, make copies of both sets of returns.
- Gather together your receipts, bills, credit card statements, deeds, valuations or other paperwork detailing and describing every asset you own or at least everything you can recall.
- Gather additional statements that fully describe your employee benefits as well as your spouse's.
- Gather all insurance policies, including life, health, disability, homeowners, renters or other coverage.
An attorney at our firm can review your financial situation and provide you with a rough idea of the child support or alimony you could expect to receive or have to pay. If your case involves a potentially contentious dispute over child custody or property division, we can begin preparing your case and engage professionals in appropriate disciplines.
In some ways, preparing for divorce is the most difficult step in the process. Our firm will provide you with compassionate counsel and practical advice to make your journey easier. Throughout the process, we will provide you with proactive representation and responsive client service. Scaringi Law wants to help you make a successful transition to life after divorce.
Call for a Consultation With a Divorce Lawyer
Contact Scaringi Law, to schedule a consultation. Our divorce lawyers serve Harrisburg, Newport, Carlisle, York and Lancaster and throughout central Pennsylvania.