Grandparent Rights

Carlisle Grandparents' Rights Attorneys

Pennsylvania laws now provide grandparents with the right to seek visitation, partial custody, and full legal and physical custody in specific situations. Whether you are a grandparent pursuing those rights or a parent challenging grandparent rights, the attorneys of Scaringi Law, in Harrisburg, Carlisle, and Newport, have the experience and dedication you need. We guide clients through the legal process, advocating for their rights and the best interests of the child. Contact our family lawyers for compassionate representation in central Pennsylvania.

Call Us to Learn About Grandparents' Rights: (717) 775-7195

In most circumstances, it is in the child's best interest to have continued and regular contact and interaction with the child's grandparents. Grandparents can provide the kind of care and support, infused with wisdom and experience, which a grandchild needs. When grandparents' rights are granted, they are usually granted in the form of visitation or partial child custody.

Our attorneys at Scaringi Law can help prepare your unique position in such a difficult situation.

Many circumstances may influence a grandparent to seek visitation or custody of their grandchild, such as:

  • Divorce: When parents divorce or separate, it is common for the parents of the non-custodial parent to be shut out of their grandchild's life. This is unfortunate, as every child should have the opportunity to develop a meaningful relationship with both sets of grandparents. We help clients obtain visitation rights so that they may spend quality time with their grandchildren.
  • Chemical dependency: Because of the dangers caused by a parent's alcohol abuse, drug abuse, or other chemical abuse, chemical dependency can make a parent unfit to have sole custody. Grandparents often take on the role of providing supportive care to the child or children in these situations.
  • Illness, disease, or death: Whether a parent has suddenly passed away, suffers from a mental illness, or is diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, it may be necessary to appoint a grandparent as the child's guardian. In these instances, grandparents may be granted partial custody or visitation rights.
  • Incarceration: If one or both parents of a child are incarcerated, the grandparents may be granted temporary child custody or visitation rights.
  • Prior agreement: Often times, a parent may decide that it is in the child's best interest to be raised by the grandparents. This is often the case for teen pregnancies. However, the parent may later attempt to revoke the agreement. If the child has resided with the grandparent for at least 12 months, the grandparent may be eligible to pursue primary physical custody and full legal custody.
  • Abuse or neglect: When parents are found to have put their child in danger of serious harm, it is necessary for third parties to get involved. In this grave situation, it is possible for the grandparent to be awarded full physical and legal custody to protect the children.

Talk to a Grandparent Rights Attorney Today to Learn More

Learn more about grandparents' rights and determine what rights you may have. Contact our family law attorneys in Newport, Harrisburg and Carlisle to have an experienced, compassionate, and understanding lawyer on your side.

Prev Next


  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law Congratulations on a Fine Staff
  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law Frank went to bat for us!
  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law
  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law They were confident and very professional!
  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law If you have a misconception of attorneys, listen up.
  • Scaringi Law Scaringi Law They were very responsive with my questions.
Prev Next

Six convenient locations to serve you!

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your last name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This number is my:
    • Please make a selection.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
Put Us On Your Side